Thursday, August 15, 2013

Bibigo


Ever since my friend took me to a lunch at Bibigo, Nex Serangoon a while ago, I have been hooked. Their pajeon (Korean seafood pancake) was so good that it had me drooling every time I think of it. When I heard Bibigo is opening soon in Jakarta, I was more than ecstatic. Bibigo is one of the largest food chain in Korea with franchise in several countries including London, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Beijing, Seoul and now, Indonesia.

Took place in the formerly Y&Y's spot at Pacific Place, the restaurant is not too spacious, perhaps because some of the space occupied for a bar and open teppanyaki kitchen. As I had my dinner with hubs, I noticed most of the guests were Korean. I guess Bibigo does bring a new atmosphere to the Korean people who stayed in Jakarta, as mostly authentic Korean diners in Jakarta are not located in the shopping malls.

Regretfully, they were ran out of pajeon that night. Pity... I was really looking forward to it. Anyway, here's what we ordered that night. For our appetizers, a plate of Korean chopped salad (Napa cabbage, radicchio, papaya, bean sprout, lentil and black sesame with fried spring roll pastry with soy dressing) 35k, Japchae (sweet potato noodles stir fried in sesame oil with various thin sliced vegetables and beef) 60k and Bibigo rice cake (Korean traditional rice cake with egg, fish cake simmered with sweet and spicy chili sauce with fried sweet potatoes on top) 45k.



I liked the chopped salad very much. It similar with Karedok (Indonesian raw vegetable salad in peanut sauce). It was fresh and crunchy at the same time. The japchae, one of the best I ever had. Ridiculous tiny portion as it was meant for appetizer but the flavor was so good. Perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned.

You know how in Korean drama, you will see a lot of them eating tteokbokki (Korean rice cake) voraciously, and your mind will wondering how good is that food? No? Well, at least that is what happen to me. The first time I tried tteokbokki was at Gang San, and I didn't even bother to have a second chew. But as again, seeing how they rave about the rice cake, I decided to go for second try, and still I can't figure out why Korean people are so in love with the dish. But, please, do try... my opinion might be bias.

For our main course, we ordered Bibigo steak hache (char grilled mixture of hand chopped beef and vegetables with grilled rice cakes glazed with sweet ginger grain sauce) 170k, and Braised oxtail (soy sauce marinated oxtail braised with potatoes, carrot and green pepper). Unfortunately, the steak hache was minced patty, so even the flavor was okay, well glazed with sweet ginger sauce, but still patty could never be as juicy as fillet. :)



Since the menu also comes with variety of bibimbab in two options, ala carte and bangsang (set), where the choice of bansang is served with side dish and korean style soybean soup, I will definitely pay second visit to try the bibimbab and pajeon. Who knows, I'll meet Siwon there. *wink*

Bibigo
Pacific Place Mall level 4
Jl. Jend Sudirman Kav 53
SCBD, South Jakarta
Ph. +6221 57973011
Open: 10am - 10pm

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I still feel that the BibiGo in SG is much nicer than the ones in Jakarta. Any other recommendation for korean food in Jakarta?