Friday, May 9, 2014

Three Buns Burger Senopati Jakarta

 
For many people it's about the burger, for me it's about their concept. Burger is by far my least favorite when it comes to junk food. When Three Buns opens for business and the burger hysteria start to dominates all over social media, to be honest, I wasn't even intrigued. But when I saw the picture of their interior on instagram, I was triggered.

Let me take you back to the day I first visit Three Buns.
It was labor day.
... and we decided to go for a burger toast. 
WINK ;)
I always admire people with creative minds and talents. When I saw the interior of Three Buns, whoever genius comes with the concept design has won my respect. It's new, it's exciting and out of the box.
Forget about the old antique blue van with it's crappy cracking, or the most popular Mr. Bulldog in Jakarta at the moment, the fact how they turn the place to somehow replicates an outdoor park is the one fascinates me.

I love how they make the entire seating casual with cushions all over the bench, where people could just sit disorderly with one view straight to the van. The planting trees, the sunroof and overall laid back vibe to me has a strong picnic on the park theme. I don't know if it is indeed what they are aiming for, but if it is, I would say they pretty much succeeded.


I couldn't take more pictures of the whole interior as the crowds are massive. Although it is a common sight nowadays where people will just bring out their phone or camera to take shots of the restaurant interior and the food, I do aware there's a line not to be crossed. Though I am one of them, but personally, I would also be a bit disturbed if I saw someone keep on taking pictures while I was eating.
Actually, most of the time, if I know I would do a review, I always do my best to come on weekday noon, where the venue tend to be emptier, but sometimes you just can't control the timing, even if it's your own.


Now, about the burger. Me went for Baby Huey (95k) and hubs chose Burning Man (110k). Baby Huey is a prime 150g beef patty burger with cheese, lettuce, ketchup, pickles and spiced mayo. All their burgers are cooked medium, if you like yours to be cooked well done, you have to request upon ordering. As you can see from the picture below, the burger was drenched with sauces, not really my type, I like mine to be not that wet, but first bite it turns out to be good. The patty was tender, and the sauce, despite the overuse, make sense. It clicks. But personally, I would like if the patty could be a bit spongy, as when I tried Hubs' burning man, the patty was almost too flabby.


Burning Man is also comes with 150g prime beef patty and cheese, the difference is at the bun and they use roasted jalapeno, don't worry you won't even feel hot. I'm not exactly sure what kind of bun they use for the burning man, but we didn't quite like the texture, and the overall taste was not that good, if compare to my baby huey. The fact they are not being consistent on the patty is a turn off. I guess with all the crowds it's a though work to maintain the consistency. 


Overall, I wouldn't say that the burgers are not good, as they are actually okay, it's just that with all the reviews and saying about how it is the best burger in town, I kinda have high expectations and it turns out I have to agree to disagree. It is okay but definitely not the best in town. But again, everyone has different personal taste rite?

We also had one of the house sides, Naughty Fries (45k), portion is good enough for share among three persons, comes with crisp shallots on the top (love!), beef chilli which was almost hard to find, parmesan and sesame seeds.


Talking about the price, while I know it's a bit high for a burger, I still think it's a normal amount to spend for a meal at South. What ridiculous to me is the drinks! My Sherbie Hancock (citrus sherbet lemonade) came in a tiny styrofoam cup with ice chips that seems to be on a race on who is the tallest. As you could see from the picture, the cups is tiny, the ice chips? Plenty! Three sips, and I easily see the bottom of the cup. Come on, I know it's homemade with no preservatives and stuff, but 30k in that tiny cup with bunch of ice chips in that awfully hot surroundings. For the love of God, change your cups!

As ridiculous as it is, Sherbie actually comes as our favorite more than the main star itself. The flavor is unique, a bit sour and super refreshing. Hubs, who ordered Ice tea (30k, also with that stupid cups and ices) kept sipping my Sherbie, and I kept slapping his hand to stop. LOL.

Will I come back? Oh yes. Pretty much for the ambiance and not so much for the burger maybe, but I wouldn't mind for another round of Sherbie and maybe going Rambo this time. Oh btw, Rambo is a name of their lamb burger. Even if you are not a burger person, I am quite sure to say you will find at least one thing you'll like in this place. :)

Three Buns
(Next to Cacaote and across Publico)
Jl. Senopati Raya No.90
Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta
Ph. +6221 29307780
Opening hours: Daily 11am until late

6 comments:

Crystal Tika said...

wow that is some original idea huh.. well i have never seen an outdoor-indoor restaurant if that even makes sense!! wooh! thanks for sharing

puddingme.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Honestly, in my most humble opinion the burgers are just okay. I don't get all the hype about this place, it was so crowded the night of my visit (Saturday) parking was a huge problem even though they have valet service. Music was so loud and it was so humid inside this place. I won't come back tho. And it's ridiculously expensive for a burger with tasteless patty.Sorry for such a neg comment iv lol :)

Unknown said...

Honestly, in my most humble opinion the burgers are just okay. I don't get all the hype about this place, it was so crowded the night of my visit (Saturday) parking was a huge problem even though they have valet service. Music was so loud and it was so humid inside this place. I won't come back tho. And it's ridiculously expensive for a burger with tasteless patty.Sorry for such a neg comment iv lol :)

Unknown said...

Honestly, in my most humble opinion the burgers are just okay. I don't get all the hype about this place, it was so crowded the night of my visit (Saturday) parking was a huge problem even though they have valet service. Music was so loud and it was so humid inside this place. I won't come back tho. And it's ridiculously expensive for a burger with tasteless patty.Sorry for such a neg comment iv lol :)

Ivy said...

@jessica: no worries. :) i'm with u about the burger. The taste is pretty much just okay. Me too don't understand what the hype is all about. But I do like their place. Guess i was lucky on how when i went there it was late evening & even thou crowded as hell but the weather was okay. Not humid at all.

irene said...

It is definitely a great, different dining setting! The burgers do look good, but shame about the cup! :(