Monday, June 8, 2015

THE HALAL BOYS JAKARTA


Coping with what's trending at the moment, I went to The Halal Boys just yesterday to try the famous Gyros rice. The Halal Boys is a food stand with the same concept as The Halal Guys in New York City.

If you are unfamiliar with The Halal Guys, it's one of the popular food stands in New York that sells rice bowls with their humble street food cart. They are one of the pioneer in quick service street food cart who serves halal food with their signature rice bowls and iconic white & red sauce. 

The Halal Boys copy the same concept and menu with serving only rice bowl with three choices, lamb over rice, chicken over rice or half chicken and half lamb for those who wanted to try both at once. All items are priced at 55k. 


Their yellow food stand "parked" at Hang Lekir street strategically opposite Beautika restaurant with several tables for customers to dine in. If you're not fond of the idea eating in the street, you can always have it to go or eat it in the car, the Styrofoam container makes it easy. 


I was there with hubs and he ordered the Chicken over rice (55k) since he doesn't eat lamb. While I opted for the Half & Half (55k). The order system is pretty simple, all self service, you order and then waited for your number to be called and pick it up. The iconic red & white sauce are available for all you can have. 


As seen on the picture above, they have the red BBQ sauce and white sauce for us to mixed it all along with the rice. The white sauce is sort of like yogurt with less thicker texture. 

When it comes to any food and drink, I'm not the kind of person who likes to stir my food, I don't even stir when I have porridge or mixed shaved ice, there's something about stirring food that just gross me, so I was having hard time on eating this one. But if you are someone like me, I strongly recommend you to just close your eyes and do the stir as you really need to mix the rice with the sauces to bring out all the flavors. My favorite recommendation is the extremely hot red bottle! It was the special chilli sauce and it was so good! Definitely bring out the flavors best. But people who can't eat spicy, go easy as it was HOT. 


The rice they used is a basmati rice, topped with your meat options and shredded cabbages. I personally liked the chicken better than the lamb as I feel the lamb still comes with its strong mutton smells.

 
I love how it can be a great option for a quick convenient food and at the same time tasted delicious as well. Try them! =)

THE HALAL BOYS
Jl. Hang Lekir 2 No. 4
(Opposite Beautika Restaurant)
South Jakarta
Opening hours: 
Mon - Thu: 11am - 10pm
Fri - Sat: 11am - 1am
Sun: 8am - 10pm
IG: @thehalalboys


1 comment:

eya said...

Hi,
Does this plate taste the same with the one in NY?
Thanks