Thursday, February 18, 2016

REUNION DINNER CNY 2016


Chinese New Year has never really been something that my family and I celebrate in a big way, probably because we are a small family and don't have too many relatives in town. Mom's family mostly stay in Medan, while my two aunts from Dad's stay in Hong Kong. Honestly, if not because of my new nephew, baby S, I think all of us prefer to go on short trip rather than celebrating it in town.

Nevertheless, regardless no big celebration, we still do follow tradition like receiving hong baos (or in my case, giving ones), wearing new and preferably red clothes, either going to or having relatives coming, and of course, the reunion dinner on the CNY's eve. For the last ten years or so, we always go out instead of having our dinner cooked at home. Simple reason, the only one who can cook in our family is Mom and as much as she wants too (since she loves cooking), we don't let her do that anymore as it was too tiring.

This year, we again chose May Star for our reunion dinner. It was probably the third or fourth time that we chose to have our reunion dinner here. Every year, I'll be the one who calls almost every Chinese restaurants to ask for their CNY set menu and review it one by one, and May Star mostly always come as our safe choice.

They have several packages with different menu and prices to choose from. I can't really recall which package we chose but the price was around IDR 8.9 million which I think is affordable comparing to other restaurants with similar menu.

Prosperous Yu Sheng Platter with Norway Salmon & Silver Fish

Roasted Suckling Pig with Sesame Seeds

Braised Shark's Fin w/ Crab Meat and Dried Scallop

Braised Supreme Seafood Combination in Claypot

Steamed Fresh Grouper Fish w/ Superior Soya Sauce

Wok Fried Baby Lobster with Salted Egg Yolk

Fried Rice with Seafood & Wrapped in Egg

May Star Coconut Pudding

I'm not going in details about the food one by one, but we had a pleasant dinner. The suckling pig and the baby lobster, particularly, were beyond good! The least favorite would be the seafood claypot, the taste was as weird as the looks.

So, welcome to the year of Monkey, everyone. Thank you for reading!

PS. I'll push my self to write more. :)

No comments: